Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Revelations, Summer Progress and some questions answered

Well we are mid way through another week, my week again has been maddess, the manager is still away, the owner is hanging around like a bad smell, and for some reason I cant get any piece and quiet!

But I digress, I'm sure things will settle down, and my last 2 weeks will fly by, In fact it's 3 weeks today and we will be traveling to Christchurch, we should have just got off the ferry crossing and be starting the last leg of our/my trip home.

Summer is nearly done, I had a good session on Friday whilst my work friend was here and we had another movie marathon, this time it was a Final Destinationathon! Was Awesome!

So here is Summer, all she needs now are her beads, and I will get those in on the weekend.

"Summer" Before Beads
I also have been in a bit of a funk, and then I realised that I hadn't worked on a HAED for abit, so I picked up "Pearl"

"Pearl" Before
"Pearl" After 2 Evenings
I have got some more done since this photo was taken. Will update more next time.

I received a Lovely Email from Bianca, She asked some questions about my HAED Stitching so I thought I would answer them here, so they can help everyone.

So Bianca said she had been doing some research online and found lots of information and some of it conflicting. So this is how I see it -

With what we do as a craft, I really don't think there is any "right" or "wrong" way to do things, Although there are things to make things easier, and the biggest thing is to do what suits you best.

So Bianca Asked  "do you have a preferred fabric type, count?" I do have a favorite and its 18cnt Antique White, for the simple reason I like the size, I like the way the stitches lie, and I like the way that it still shows plenty of detail. I think you loose some detail a little with a lower count, it becomes pixilated. The best advise for this is to get some different counts and play around, 1 thread, 2 threads, tent full stitches and do it on all counts, but don't just do 1 or 2 stitches, do at least a couple of 10x10 blocks, remember that HAED's are very densely stitched so you have to be comfortable with what you are working with.

"How many threads to you stitch with? Over one? Over two?" When I use 18cnt I always use 2 over 1, Its not to bulky and when you stitch with black it has great coverage.

"it doesn't look like you do pre-gridding, but I was wondering your thoughts on that as well" OK gridding, I have never gridded anything I have stitched, I use the motto my Aunt taught me, "Count Twice, Stitch Once" Although Sometimes Late at night I count thrice. Some people swear by gridding and that its help especially if you are doing HAED's. like the above it doesn't work for me.

I think my last thought on this for now, that you have to do what feels right for you, and that starts with chooseing the right chart, You will be looking at the same picture for a long time so you need to love what you are looking at, needle, thread, fabric size etc.

I really hope that helped, if anyone has any other questions ask, and I can only but try to help!

Right onto the other Project that I am going to be starting soon.

Most of you will have seen the lovely "Mermaids" that Tracey stitches.

She has done the most wonderful conversion for "Mermaids of the Deep Blue"



Tracey's Conversion
I for 1 am very excited to stitch this. So I have picked Jazz By Picture this Plus I think the colours will look great. I also had a package from 123 Stitch Arrive

Stash!
So all I need now are some beads, which Tracey kindly help me convert to petite beads, and all the metallic threads as well. So watch this space for when I'm going to start this. Which I promise will be soon.

I hope you all have a fantastic week!

Happy Stitching All!



14 comments:

Stitchesbyme said...

beautiful stitches

Lija said...

Well done on the stitching! I am also coming to the conclusion that I like 18 count the best. Haven't yet ventured into eavenweave though. But picking up 14 count after stitching on 18 is like picking up large print book after reading normal print.

Kaisievic said...

Lovely progress on your WIPs and your next project looks like magic.

Karen said...

Summer looks wonderful. I can't wait to see her all beaded. I'm really interested to watch Pearl develop.

Tracy's conversion of MotDB is very pretty. Enjoy your new start. (Maybe one of these days I'll finish my own MotDB. sigh)

Lesleyanne said...

Wow Pearl looks gorgeous. Lovely new stash.

Melinda said...

Love your stitching - and so love the sharing of your stitching sense.

Michelle said...

Everything looks so beautiful, your own stitching and your new projecrts. I wish you alot of fun with it.

Bianca said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions! I realize that when it comes to any craft/art there is no right or wrong way, but taking on an HAED for the first time can be a little overwhelming, and I'm glad to have a nudge in right direction, especially because I love the way your projects come out :)

Tracy J said...

Wow, Your Joan Elliot (almost) finish is gorgeous!

Scotty,
I'm glad I have inspired you with the conversion for Mermaids of the Deep Blue, it was a joy to stitch and I hope you will have pure joy too while stitching this one, especially with the pretty colors of floss.

weustygirl said...

So glad to see Summer just about done and that you got into some HAED work over the last week. Pretty impressive with also being in the middle of packing.
Your mermaids are going to be lovely. I too have admired Tracys conversion and cant wait to see yours develop. Thanks for sharing how you stitch as well, I too have never gridded, I think it is great that cross stitching is such a personal thing and that everyone has their own way of doing things. It makes it personal to you. Enjoy the rest of your packing and your last few weeks in the big smoke.

Monique said...

Stunning work as usual (envious sigh):-) I am very interested in trying to work on 18 count after reading your post but I do have one question. JE designs have a lot of fractional stitches and how do you find doing it in this count fabric?

Veronica said...

Summer Fairy looks absolutely gorgeous and she will be even more so once the beading is done.

Lovely progress on Pearl. Looking forward to your Mermaids start.

Hugs,
Veronica.

Dani - tkdchick said...

Wow Summer is going to be a fantastic HD! Youve made amazing progress on your HAED!!!

Mangogirl said...

gorgeous stitching :)